The Elms was built in 1900 and has served the community in a number of ways including a labour exchange and a hostel. It was acquired, along with its land in 2009 by Cornwall Neighbourhoods for Change (CN4C) and Coastline Housing
The building was designed to offer a point of reference to the community with the ground floor space with meeting rooms, atrium café and wet arts room and provision of flexible desk space for ‘social enterprises’ to assist in achieving the clients model of providing high quality and accessible services right in the heart of the community
The meeting rooms were purpose built to offer facilities for space for meetings, ceramics workshops, teaching and learning and were provided with interactive whiteboards and projectors and
included kitchenette facility.